For news flashes and recent reports click on the News link above. The latest item anounces a change to the Town Clerk's address.
When Exeter was a fuzzy down”
A huge fire in 1666 burnt out much of Bradninch except the Church and a few surrounding cottages. A second fire in the nineteenth century destroyed a greater part of the town again and it was rebuilt mainly in the Georgian style, changing the appearance again. Latterly the different coloured rendering on the houses has brightened up the main thoroughfares of the town.
The Industrial Revolution had the effect of moving the population from places like Bradninch. Many residents now commute to the major local towns and city of Exeter situated 10 miles away.
The paper mill at Hele is the major employer in the area and the Regional Office of the National Trust at Killerton also uses local people in the offices, shop and grounds. One only has to glance at the advertisements in the Bradninch Magazine (published 10 times a year and available from the local shop in Fore Street) to see the list of the many small businesses being carried on in the town.