Recycling and Waste Collections
The recycling and waste collections are managed by Mid Devon District Council and are divided into five categories:
- Blue Kerbside Food Caddy: This caddy is for cooked and uncooked food waste plus bunches of cut flowers.
- Green Box Recycling: This box takes cardboard and cartons.
- Black Box Recycling: This box takes glass, tins, cans, batteries, foil, most plastics (except film/cellophane or rigid plastic), carrier bags, paper, magazines, junk mail, catalogues, clothing, blankets, shoes, belts and bags.
- Brown Bin/Sack Composting: This is a chargeable optional collection and covers grass cuttings, hedge cuttings, leaves, plants, shrubs, weeds, twigs, small branches (less than 15cm/6" diameter) and cut flowers. (See below for costs).
- Black Sack Landfill: Material which connot be placed in the above categories.
There is a fortnightly pattern of collection. Collection days vary between different parts of Bradninch so cannot be listed here. MDDC notify each household of their particular dates and also provide a lookup facility. The two week cycle is:
- Week One: Blue caddy and Brown bin/sack.
- Week Two: Blue caddy, Green box, Black box and Black sack.
The charges for the optional Brown bins are: £47 per year for a 240 litre bin; £35 per year for a 140 litre bin. An alternative to the brown bin is to use special sacks which cose £13 for a roll of 10 120 litre sacks which can be bought from various locations.
The Post Office is part of the Spar shop, which is at 8 Fore Street (opposite the Guildhall in the centre of the Town). The phone number is 01392 881212 and opening times are:
- 8:00am to 8:00pm, except:
- Sunday, when it closes at 5:00pm
The shop is open:
- 7:00am to 9:00pm, except:
- Sunday, when it is *:00am to 8:00pm
There are 4 post boxes in Bradninch and one in Hele. The locations are:
- Outside the Post Office/Spar shop;
- In the wall above 53 Fore Stree;
- In the wall Between Earsland House and Vennleigh, 23 & 25 West End Road;
- In the wall of 5 Westfield.
- Next to the old Phone Box by the entrance to Hele Square, Hele
There is just one functioning phone box remaining in Bradninch and that is in the centre of Town by the thatched bus shelter. The phone box in Hele no longer contains a phone and is maintained by the Hele Society as an information point.
There is a cash machine in the Spar shop which is free to use for most cards.
The surgery at 4 Millway is part of College Surgery Partnership which has its centre in Cullompton on Willand Road. The Bradninch Surgery phone number is 01392 881952 (or Cullompton 01884 831300). The Bradninch surgery opening hours are:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8:30am to 12:30pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am to 12:30pm for dispensing only.
Devon County Council Library Services serve Bradninch with a Library Van which parks at the top of Fore Street by the Guildhall. The service operates on two 4-week cycles on Thursday and Saturday mornings. Dates and times are:
|2017: 11:00am to 12 noon|
|2017 09:30am to 12:30pm|
Stagecoach: Bradninch is well served by the Stagecoach 1 and 1A services which run between Exeter and Tiverton and also the 1B which runs between Exeter and Willand. The service operates seven days per week. During the day on weekdays, they run through Bradninch at 20 minute intervals. The timetable effective from 25th Jan 2016 can be found here. As well as season tickets, discounted tickets are available for single or multiple journeys and for evening travel - check with the bus driver. To check the latest information go to the Stagecoach website.
Redwoods: The Redwoods 675 service which used to run between Holcombe Rogus and Exeteter via Bradninch on Thursdays was cancelled on 20th September 2015.
Culm Voluntary Car Scheme: This scheme aims "To provide a community transport service for such of the inhabitants of Culm valley (the town of Cullompton in Devon and surrounding parishes) who are in need of such a service because of age, sickness or disability (mental or physical), or poverty, or because of a lack of availability of adequate and safe public passenger services." It can be used for lifts to hospital or surgery or other appointments, preferably with 48hrs notice. Limited information is available but the coordinator can be contacted on 01884 33161.
Tiverton & District Community Transport Association: This Ring & Ride scheme is for "Frail elderly people or people with a disability who find public transport very difficult to use. Passengers may bring an escort." It appears to operate on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, giving door-to-door rides to Tiverton and return for £3.50. It uses a minibus equiped to take wheelchairs and scooters. Times are not known. The coordinator can be contacted weekdays from 9:00am to 5:00pm (4:30pm of Friday) on 01884 242099.